Thursday, July 8, 2010

When I was a young girl, I had me a cowboy...

Thought I’d introduce this post with a lyric from the song I’m currently listening to.

Today is July 11th and I’ve been in Tanzania for almost a month now, and have less than a month left here. I can definitely say that this is a summer filled with unique experiences. I had my first moment of genuine frustration while teaching this past week. I was teaching the pros and cons of the tourism industry in Arusha and the children just weren’t getting it. The final step was for the kids to find a solution to common problems that occur from tourists, but their brains just weren’t turned on. The lesson eventually ended and not all of my students had finished projects. I left the classroom upset, but after calming down I learned that sometimes you can only hope for some kids to understand bits and pieces and not always the big picture (at least not in one 40 minute, quick crash course). I have had great successes, but its sad that you normally always focus on the moments of failure.

In other new my mom and sister come on Saturday. I’m really excited about showing them around Arusha.

I only have two more nights at my homestay. It has been a wonderful experience and I’m really sad to be leaving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment